Poppy Seed Cake
3/4 cup poppy seeds
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup butter
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
4 egg whites only, whipped.
1 lemon grated (add even more juice for more lemony flavour)
1. Cover the poppy seeds with boiling water, drain and then
soak in the milk for half an hour.
2. Cream the butter, sugar and vanilla (and lemon)
3. Blend in the flour, baking powder, and poppy seeds
4. Fold in the egg whites.
5. Bake the sucker in a bundt pan (or springform pan with
the bundt bottom)for about 40 minutes at 175-190 °C.
6. Ice with plain vanilla (or lemon) sugar frosting.
Someone once suggested chocolate but that won't work
if you've lemonised the cake. But by all means try it.
Back to recipe index