"... In the morning, I'm makin' waffles!" -- Donkey, Shrek
1 3/4 cups milk
2 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sugar
2 tblsp melted butter (margerine)
1) Beat the eggs, mix in the milk, sugar, flour, baking powder and butter
2) Cook the batter in a waffle iron.
3) Eat immediately as they lose something if they sit around too long
You can eat them with vanilla custard (below) or with REAL maple syrup
or with stewed fruit, expecially apricots or sour cherries.
There is an amazingly decadent white sauce (milk pudding?) that the Russian
Mennonites have with their waffles. I only tried to make it once and it
didn't thicken for me.
4 1/2 cups milk
3/4 cup milk
3 egg yolks
3 egg whites (beaten into peaks, you know the drill)
8 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup sugar
1) bring the 4 1/2 cups of milk slowly to a boil
2) meanwhile mix the 3/4 cups of milk with the egg yolks
and the flour (add cold water if it is too gluey) - make
3) add some hot milk to the paste to heat it up.
4) when the milk boils add the paste to the hot milk
5) take the milk off of the heat and add the egg whites.
Be careful when boiling the milk. It will foam up considerably
when it boils and can easily overflow the pot. It also burns
easily if the heat is too high.
Back to recipe index